Saturday, June 2, 2012

Why I LOVE soap nuts!

Have you heard of soap nuts??? They are a much talked about topic on many pages I'm a part of and last week I discovered I could buy a trial pack from the lovely girls at Modern Cloth Nappies by Renee so I placed an order and eagerly awaited their arrival (which was super speedy, thanks MCNbR!). (Note, I have since purchased a big bag of them from Pure Revolution: Natural Soap Nuts and have been using them full time since August)
A few days later the postie arrived and  delivered them in my letter box so I grabbed them and made dash to the laundry to try them out... Well technically I went to the lounge room, opened my little parcel, read the directions so I knew what I was doing and THEN dashed to the laundry. We did a load of nappies with them and they came out really well, just like normal but without the washing powder smell - my bub smells good enough so it won't be missed around here!

Monday was washing day again - there are so many washing days with a bub in the house - and my gorgeous Kev did a few loads using the soap nuts - so they'd been through the wash 4 times when I went to do todays washing. I opened up the little bag (don't know how to use soap nuts??? you can find info on them here) and discovered that only 2 of the little half nuts (well berry type fruits actually) were spent, the rest were still good to keep washing :) So I threw the spent ones in the garden, added another soap nut and got down to some laundry :)

Todays washing loads included:

  • second hand toys that I've bought or been given. All a bit grubby but didn't want to put them in the washing machine with laundry detergent as I knew Pie would be mouthing them and surface cleaning them just wasn't doing a good enough job for my liking,
  • Pie's clothes,
  • Pie's food covered bibs - my little gutso gobbles her solids so quick and likes to push anything that falls out back in with her fingers then suck on them for a bit so she makes a lovely mess,
  • The wrap we were using to swaddle her in over the weekend which she's sucked on and spat on (we've now gone wrap free)
  • Pie's nappies, inserts and wipes from yesterday - all wet, no soiled ones.
  Now, don't judge me, but with all that I had enough for one big load so I did one big load - nappies, clothes, toys all together with half a dozen or so half soap nut shells. Put it on a heavy duty wash and pressed GO :)

 When the load finished Pie was just waking from her morning catnap so I took the picnic rug and some toys outside and we had a play in the sunshine while I hung the new load and got the load husband did yesterday off the line (we only get sun on our line very first thing in the morning so have to leave it over night most of the time to get it properly dried and get the sunshine on it... Oh and I'd forgotten Kev did a load yesterday afternoon so make that 5 loads the soap nuts had done with only 2 needing to be replaced!!!) and folded up the clothes. It was so lovely that I've decided I need a laundry day bag to hang in my laundry ready to take outside while Pie and I enjoy the sunshine together - it will have toys and baby sunscreen and wipes for emergencies and ofcourse a hat. Speaking of hats, today she wore a baby bonnet I made for her months ago that was way too big, I can't believe it fits!!! I was so proud seeing something else I made on her <3
  So anyway back to the topic - soap nuts. The washing today really surprised me! I was already sold on soap nuts but today they outdid themselves. There were white singlets and rompers in there that had been looking a bit grey and they were suddenly sparkling white!!! There were pink tights that had a yuckky tinge to them after smthg ran in the washing and they were bright and looked brand new again! The toys were all spotless! The bibs didn't have a sign of food remaining on them :) If I wasn't won over earlier I sure was now! Soap nuts, I love you!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am a suppliere of soap nuts from Nepal.I need to find buyers.Any suggestions at kanti@vianet.com.np

    ReplyDelete